On February 19, 2014, Shameless was renewed for a 12 episode fifth season. It ran from January 11, 2015 to April 5, 2015.
The Gallaghers are back and they're as SHAMELESS as ever in a new season of the acclaimed Showtime Original Series. As real estate speculators and organic coffee shops overrun their beloved South Side of Chicago, Frank, Fiona, Lip and the rest of the family band together to fight the invading hipster hordes in their own audacious way.
The season will pick up from the season finale, two to three months after the events of finding out about Ian’s bipolar disorder and Fiona’s release from prison.
|Milk of the Gods||Writer: Nancy M. Pimental||Director: Christopher Chulack||January 11, 2015||#5.01|
|It's summertime again in Chicago. Fiona balances her job at Patsy's Pies and a crush on her older boss, Sean, as Lip says goodbye to college and heads back home to take a job working demolition. At the Milkovich house, Ian helps a pregnant Svetlana take care of baby Yevgeny. Meanwhile, Veronica goes to work at The Alibi as Kevin plays stay-at-home dad. And Frank, still recovering from his liver transplant, unveils the secret project he's been working on in Sheila's basement. Season premiere.
|I'm the Liver||Writer: Krista Vernoff||Director: Sanaa Hamri||January 18, 2015||#5.02|
|Fiona is officially off house arrest while Lip starts his first day of work for Tommy. But manual labor turns out to be harder than Lip thought and the brutal hazing from his co-workers doesn't help. Sheila considers an offer from two lesbians who want to buy her home. Frank tries to talk her out of it and begins warning everyone of the neighborhood's impending gentrification. Also, the father of boy whose liver Frank received invites Frank to a special father's day dinner with all the other organ recipients, which Sammi ends up crashing, further enraging Sheila. Meanwhile, a manic Ian plans his revenge with Mickey and Mandy against a homophobic military funeral protest. Fiona confronts Sean about her feelings for him. Kev bonds with Svetlana. And Debbie continues to struggle with her friends and boys.
|The Two Lisas||Writer: Sheila Callaghan||Director: Peter Segal||January 25, 2015||#5.03|
|The gentrification of the Back of the Yards continues with the closing of the Alibi's illegal rub & tug. Frank enlists Carl to scare off the lesbians who are buying up more property in the neighborhood while pleading with Sheila not to cave and sell her home. But Sheila has big plans for her future, with or without Frank. Ian goes on a crazed cleaning spree of the Milkovich house and also wants Lip to help convince Mandy not to move to Indiana with her abusive boyfriend, Kenyatta. But Lip remains emotionally unavailable and pushes Mandy away, possibly for good. Meanwhile, Debbie throws a wild party at the Gallagher house and Carl discovers a hidden talent. In exchange for new brewery equipment, Frank sets the owner of a junkyard up with Sammi under the pretense the she'll sleep with him. And Fiona agrees to go to a concert with Davis, but when his girlfriend shows up Fiona makes a play for Davis's bass player, Gus.
|A Night to Remem- Wait, What?||Writer: Davey Holmes||Director: Richie Keen||February 1, 2015||#5.04|
|Frank arrives at Lou's to pick up his six figure insurance settlement and is shocked to learn that he's already collected it. Meanwhile, Fiona and Gus continue to hit if off, so much so that Gus admits he's falling in love with her. Meanwhile, Lip visits Amanda and her family at her luxurious house in Miami. Carl starts a new job as a drug dealer but quickly realizes he's in over his head. Ian goes overboard when he starts stealing suitcases from the airport baggage claim.
|Rite of Passage||Writer: Etan Frankel||Director: Alex Graves||February 8, 2015||#5.05|
|Fiona's plans to announce her marriage to her family unravel. Ian's behavior grows more erratic and Mickey asks Lip for help. Veronica and Kev have relationship issues.
|Crazy Love||Writer: John Wells||Director: Anthony Hemingway||February 15, 2015||#5.06|
|Fiona is thrown into chaos by the return of Jimmy. Ian steals Mickey and Svetlana's baby for a road trip in a bipolar episode.
|Tell Me You F**king Need Me||Writer: Nancy M. Pimental||Director: William H. Macy||March 1, 2015||#5.07|
|Ian begins to regain some of his senses - and finds himself under a mandatory hold at the psych ward. Meanwhile, Sammi is forced to take drastic measures to teach Frank a lesson. Plus, Fiona makes a decision regarding her potential romantic futures with Jimmy and/or Gus, Lip learns that his tuition is short twelve grand, Carl seizes an opportunity to make Chuckie his slave, and after V moves out, Svetlana moves in with Kev in exchange for the performance of some odd 'wifely duties.'
|Uncle Carl||Writer: Krista Vernoff||Director: Wendy Stanzler||March 8, 2015||#5.08|
|Fiona is confused by the status of her relationship when Gus announces he's leaving to go on tour. Meanwhile, Carl is asked by his boss to run drugs to Indiana; Frank sees a way to get revenge on Sammi by using Chuckie as the mule and having him busted; and Lip, still in need of tuition money, convinces Kev to come to the dorms and sell drugs. Plus, as Ian refuses to accept his bipolar diagnosis, Debbie is tasked with minding his new meds.
|Carl’s First Sentencing||Writer: Etan Frankel||Director: Christopher Chulack||March 15, 2015||#5.09|
|Frank has a check-up with his uptight doctor, Bianca, who's cracking up after getting a terminal cancer diagnosis. Discovering she hasn't truly 'lived,' he agrees to be her tour guide to the seedier side of life. Meanwhile, Fiona preps an uncooperative Carl for his sentencing hearing. Plus, Lip sleeps with a professor on the assumption he's only days away from being kicked out, Ian realizes it's time to get back on his meds and Kev finds himself enjoying college life as campus 'rapewalker.'
|South Side Rules||Writer: Sheila Callaghan||Director: Michael Uppendahl||March 22, 2015||#5.10|
|Frank is having a ball with Bianca, his new sick friend and formerly uptight doctor. But when Bianca thinks Frank might be developing feelings for her she kicks him to the curb. Frank, however, returns to put up a fight.
|Drugs Actually||Writer: Davey Holmes||Director: Mimi Leder||March 29, 2015||#5.11|
|Frank grows concerned as Bianca's behavior becomes increasingly more erratic and dangerous - but he'll do just about anything to show her a great time.
|Love Songs (In the Key of Gallagher)||Writer: John Wells||Director: Christopher Chulack||April 5, 2015||#5.12|
|Fiona reunites with Gus after his tour but is torn by the fact that her friendly feelings for Sean have turned into love. Plus, Frank has his own love struggles as he works to keep Bianca happy - down in Costa Rica! Season finale.
- It will pick up from the season finale, two to three months after the events of finding out about Ian’s bipolar and Fiona’s release from prison.
- Jimmy Lishman returns this season, but only for 3 episodes.
- Fiona falls in love and marries the musician Gus Pfender this season.
- If you were hoping to see Matty, the object of young Debbie Gallagher’s affections, in the first few episodes of the new season, unfortunately you are going to have to wait a little longer to discover if Debbie still has Matty in her sights.
- There is a rumor what one of the Gallagher kids will find themselves behind bars midway through the season. Fortunately, it doesn’t look like it will be a long stay, but it’s definitely going to be cause for some major concern for the family.(x)
- There is a flashback of Frank this season.
- We'll meet Bianca (Bojana Novakovic), a 31-year-old doctor who has just discovered she has stage 4 cancer. Having spent the last ten years of her life focused on med school, internship and residency, she is now angry that she hasn’t lived much with the weight of her ambition and familial expectations. Frank meets her just after she’s discovered her diagnosis and becomes her tour guide for sordid living.(x)
- Frank falls in love with Bianca in the second half of the season.
- Shanola Hampton : "Everyone has some nice stuff. It going to be nice to see Frank’s play out, especially in the last half of the season. Also, Ian’s, but Lip’s has some cool stuff too, oh and Carl! Ugh, too hard to say! Fans have a lot to look forward to.”
- Emmy Rossum tweeted : "It's Going To Get Worse Before It Gets Better"
- For the next season, there will be more recurring roles and new cast members will be added to make the show more interesting. (x)
- Cameron Monaghan: "This entire season is very dark and we kind of continue into that darkness a little bit, before we get to have fun again next season" (x)
- One of our Gallaghers (we're not saying who!) is going to be getting close with a skilled member of a rock n roll band. Get ready because this guy is extremely talented and we'll be seeing him multiple times throughout season five. (x)
- I can't say too much, but you can take from [Chatwin's scene] that there's something else going on; he hasn't gone back to medical school," Wells says of Jimmy's potential storyline, noting his traveling companion (Lachman) remains a mystery.(x)
- SSN SCREENING SERIES 2014 OF “SHAMELESS” (x )
- Cameron Monaghan : “He’s going to be continuing to be in a precarious position and moving even closer to this edge of this precipice that he’s living on. Um, yeah, it’s a—it’s a lot of fun.” (x)
- William H. Macy : “I’m really appreciating this new season because I can’t drink. Of course, I’m drinking a little, but I’m managing it. What I mean is, in a lot of these scenes, Frank is sober as a vicar, and it’s lovely to play that point of view sober.” (x)
- Cameron Monaghan: They’re doing some really fun stuff and playing around with the storytelling too. We had our first dream sequence that we’ve ever shot on the show. We have one episode involving flashbacks for Frank. There’s a lot of interesting experimentation to keep it fresh.
- Emmy Rossum: One spoiler for the season ahead - one of the Gallaghers is pregnant.
Behind the Scenes