|Age||22 (in Series 2)|
|Portrayed By||Anne-Marie Duff|
|Series||1 - 2, 11|
Ian Gallagher (half)
Delia Gallagher (half)
Nigel Gallagher (half)
Fiona Gallagher (Born January 1981) is the eldest child of Frank and Monica Gallagher. She was the acting mother to her five siblings after her mother left due to Frank's lack of responsibility. She originally worked as a Nursery Assistant and was also the best friend of Veronica Fisher.
Fiona had an enemy during her school days called Katrina Webb, who was seen in Series 2. Katrina would pick on Fiona for her family's poverty. They met again years later when Katrina was a social worker. But she intended for Liam to be put into care, if only to spite Fiona, after being led to believe that Fiona had sex with her fiance, Joey Dawson.
She was forced to look after her 5 siblings; Lip, Ian, Carl, Debbie and Liam when her mother Monica left them for Norma Starkey. She was 17 years old at the time and had her appendix out in hospital only to return to 5 abandoned siblings. She severely resents Monica for running off and leaving them and Dad, Frank for not helping and being a lazy alcoholic.
Fiona is left a heartbroken wreck during Series 2, when Steve was forced to flee the country after bent police officer Tony inadvertently turns him into a fugitive. She eventually met Craig Garland through familiar circumstance, after he takes it upon himself to return her bag that his step-brother stole from her in the street. Perhaps reminding her of the fact she met Steve when he attampted to retrieve her bag, when it was snatched in a night club. Craig made a move and they had a one-night stand, but he is initially thrown off by Fiona's emotional indifference the next morning.
Later, Fiona discovers that she is pregnant with Craig's baby. After failing to go through with an abortion, and awkwardness with Craig's live-in wife Sue Garland, she tells him the news. Initially they agreed to be casual friends in order to ensure the best future for the baby, but succumbed to passion and had sex with each other the same night. Fiona entered a serious relationship with Craig, though it ended rather quickly.
Eventually, Steve, still a fugitive, returned briefly to the Chatsworth Estate disguised as a social worker, wanting Fiona to run away with him and start a new life. At first, Fiona wanted nothing to do with him, still angry at the way he had to abandon their relationship. However, after an emotional heart-to-heart, she fled with him in the middle of the night, leaving Craig nothing but a letter.
So far, Fiona and Steve have not returned to the estate and nothing is known about Fiona's child. But it was revealed in a conversation between Libby Croker and Liam Gallagher in the first episode of Series 8 that Fiona was now married to Steve.
Despite living away from Chatsworth for years, Fiona seems to have ample contact with her family (or her siblings, anyway). When Yvonne Karib lost her home in Series 4, Debbie phoned Fiona in Amsterdam so Yvonne could discuss the rent for the house nextdoor. On the Virtual Tour of Chatsworth, Fiona sends a birthday card to Liam with Euro's inside, saying that Liam would be the only one to know where to have them changed and so Frank would not be able to use them (Incidently, on the same Virtual Tour, there is also a letter in the kitchen addressed to Frank concerning an unpaid fine, and rejecting his attempted payment in Euros).
Fiona, after a enduring a childhood of neglect and disappointment, detests her father, Frank, who she is forced to clean up after and take care of.
Fiona, like most of her sblings, felt betrayed by the abandonment of their mother, Monica, three years prior to the beginning of the series.
Fiona is close with all of her siblings and is the only true role-model and nurturing figure in the household during the early series.
Fiona viewed both Lip and Ian as her main helpers, as they were working jobs to support the rest of the family. Apart from some miscellaneous part-time jobs, Lip would charge money from other students in his high school to do their homework for them. Ian would work after school hours at the local Cash and Carry, run by Kash and Yvonne Karib.
In Episode 106, Fiona claimed to have had gotten Carl some speech therapy after Monica abandoned her husband and children.
Debbie, as the only other girl in the Gallagher household, looked up to Fiona and learned much from her older sister. Indeed, Debbie would take upon herself the responsibility of looking after the household.
Liam was a baby when Monica disappeared, so Fiona would act as his mother for the first four years of his life. Her attachment to her youngest sibling was such that she nearly did not leave her family in Chatsworth, in Episode 210, because of her love for him. Only Debbie reassured her that Liam would be sent to live with Frank and Sheila (which was a lie), to ease Fiona's decision to leave with Steve.
Series Finale Return Edit
Elliot Tittensor posted a comment on his Twitter, on the 8/1/12, saying that he may be returning to Chatsworth for the final series, along with Fiona's actress Anne-Marie Duff. An article on Digital Spy confirms their return, along with Lip Gallagher, Monica Gallagher,Kevin Ball, and Yvonne Karib.
Fiona returned in Episode 1114, when she was contacted by a post-natal Monica, who claimed she had a miscarriage. But when she arrived, Fiona soon learned, much to her annoyance, that Monica had only aborted one of her unborn twins. But upon meeting her two younger siblings, six year old Stella and the newborn brother, Ben, Fiona feared they were being neglected. So she persuaded Lip to distract Frank and Monica at the Jockey, while she took the kids to Kev Ball's house, so that she might make preparations to have legal custody of Stella and Ben.
But a series of mishaps occur, before the Gallaghers all meet at the family home. Frank mentioned he was happy to walk away from his responsibilities, and Fiona willingly handed her father some cash to walk away free. But when he hesitated, Fiona shrewdly stated that Frank can't walk away, because in truth, he can't live without his family. In the end, Ben and Stella remained with Frank and Monica, but are presumably still in contact with their older siblings.
- At the time the series began, Fiona was twenty years old and had been the sole care-giver of her five younger siblings since Monica unexpectantly abandoned them three years earlier.
- When their relationship began, Steve admitted to Fiona that he noticed her two months earlier at the club but he was dubious about her accepting his overtures. But after seeing her at the same club again that night, he was willing to buy her a drink, only for Fiona to have her bag snatched. Steve also impressed Fiona with his bold attempt to apprehend the robbers and for standing up for her honour when he punched a bouncer who insulted Fiona when she said he was friends with the men who stole her handbag.
- Fiona, upon becoming pregnant by Craig Garland in Episode 208, told Veronica that she was the only girl in her school year who didn't become pregnant before receiving her GCSE's.
- Fiona had a rivalry in school with a girl named Katrina Webb, who years later would become a social worker. She was willing to have Fiona's brother, Liam, taken into care out of spite when she was led to believe that Fiona had a one night stand with her fiance, Joey Dawson.
- In the Virtual Tour of Chatsworth, Fiona sends a birthday card to Liam (presumably for his eleventh birthday), where she gives him Euros, but tells him in the message not to let Frank get hold of them. She sends euros, because she believed only Liam would know where to get them changed.
- In her latest appearance in Episode 1114, Fiona mentions that her unseen child is a boy.
- Fiona may have been around thirty years old as of Series 11.
- In an interview on the Channel 4 website, Ann Marie Duff stated that Fiona and Steve moved to Cornwall after living for some time in Amsterdam.
Behind the ScenesEdit
- Anne-Marie Duff who played Fiona is married to James McAvoy who played her onscreen boyfriend Steve McBride. The couple married on 18 October 2006 and have one child together.